You’re thrilled right? I thought so.
And now with last week long gone and forgotten, we can look forward to a brighter future. And what fun is a future without travel tips! I am a huge fan of travelling. I want to see the world, I want to learn about other cultures, and I want to experience new things. And if there’s anything I’ve learned in my travels so far it’s that breaking off of the beaten path will usually yield the best results. Fact of the matter is that all the fun is happening where the locals are, not where the tourists are.
So if you’ve got some travels coming up and are looking for tips on how to get to know the real place you’re visiting, not just the version the government is trying to advertise to you, keep on reading.
I was reading the Noodleplay blog from Idea Couture, a company which as they put it:
… is a strategic innovation and experience design firm. We partner with clients to uncover uncommon ideas that will advance business goals, create shareholder value and leverage social technologies to transform enterprises. idea couture, about us
And lo and behold, here I find an entry detailing pretty much exactly how I feel about traveling. You can read the entry here, but to sum it up for you, there are 6 key points to keep in mind.
- Talk to Locals – think of all the great hidden gems you love in your own city, now grab a travel guide for that city and look for them. Can’t find them? Exactly.
- Be Adventurous, Try New Places – this stands true anywhere, new experiences are just about always worth experiencing.
- Blend In, Stand Out – this is one that we’ve found to be truly useful in New York. When in NYC, I’ve often been asked for directions; and luckily, have rarely been hassled by street vendors. If you look like you belong, people will assume you do.
- Walk Everywhere – first, you’ll find way more fun stuff this way; second, you’ll validate all the food you’re likely going to splurge on. Or at least validate all the food I’m going to splurge on…I could use your help.
- Be Interested, Stay Interesting – another important one for any time. People can teach you some pretty awesome things if you just let them.
- It’s Nice to be a Girl – it’s true, it really does help. But hey, even the guys can sweet talk their way into useful info and places.
And there you have it, a 101 on how to make travel truly an experience to remember.
So go, travel, explore, have fun – then report back to me with fun new stories!